Access to this Site and Changes
- Access to and use of the www.britishsciencefestival.org website (“this Site”) is provided by the British Science Association of Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen’s Gate, London, SW7 5HD (“we” or “us”) subject to these Site Terms.
- Your use of any part of this Site constitutes your acceptance of these Site Terms which takes effect on the date on which you first use this Site. If you do not agree with these Site Terms, you should cease using this Site immediately.
- We reserve the right to change these Site Terms at any time by posting changes online. You are responsible for regularly reviewing information posted online to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your continued use of this Site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of the amended Site Terms.
Availability of this Site, Security and Accuracy
- Whilst we endeavour to make this Site available 24 hours a day, we will not be liable if for any reason this Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. We make no warranty that your access to this Site will be uninterrupted, timely or error-free. Access to this Site may be suspended to you personally or to all users temporarily or permanently at any time and without notice. We also reserve the right at any time and without notice to impose restrictions on the length and manner of usage of any part of the Site for any reason. If we impose restrictions on you personally, you must not attempt to use this Site under any other name or through another user.
- We do not warrant that this Site will be compatible with all hardware and software which you may use. Although we may put in place security measures for your protection, we shall not be liable for damage to, or viruses or other code that may affect, any computer equipment, software, data or other property as a result of your access to, use of or browsing of, this Site or your downloading of any material from it. We shall also not be liable for the actions of third parties in breaching any security measures.
- Any information found on this Site is intended for guidance only. We may change this Site and anything described in it without notice to you.
- Whilst we endeavour to ensure that information on this Site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given that it is complete, accurate or up-to-date and we do not accept any liability for any errors or omissions.
- Nothing on this Site shall constitute legal, financial or other advice. You should consult your professional adviser if you require such advice.
Our liability to you
- We accept liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence and for fraudulent misrepresentation. TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, FOR OTHER RESULTS OF OUR NEGLIGENCE, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT LOSSES OR FOR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES.
- TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, EXCEPT AS A RESULT OF OUR NEGLIGENCE WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS OR LOSS OF PROFITS) ARISING IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SITE, OR ANY MATERIAL CONTAINED IN IT OR ACCESSIBLE FROM IT, OR FROM ANY ACTION OR DECISION TAKEN AS A RESULT OF USING THIS SITE OR ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY ARRANGEMENT MADE WITH ANYONE NAMED OR CONNECTED WITH OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS SITE.
Your submission of material to this Site and your liability
- We may use any material, information and data that you submit to us or this Site for any purpose. You agree that you waive your moral rights to be identified as the author and we may modify your submission.
- You shall not submit any material, information or data to us or to this Site which in any respect:
- is in breach of any statute, regulation or byelaw of any jurisdiction;
- may breach the intellectual property rights or privacy or other rights of any third party;
- may be obscene, indecent, pornographic, vulgar, racist, sexist, discriminatory, offensive, harmful, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, malicious, abusive, hateful, menacing, defamatory, untrue or political;
- is fraudulent, criminal or unlawful;
- is inaccurate; or
- may be contrary to our interests.
- You shall not impersonate any other person or body or misrepresent a relationship with any person or body or adopt a false identity if the purpose of doing so is to deceive or defraud others.
- You must not interfere with another person’s use of this Site or otherwise act in a way that negatively affects another person’s use of this Site.
- We will not be responsible or liable for any error, omission or inaccuracy in the material, information or data supplied by you or other users to this Site and we reserve the right to omit, suspend or edit any material, information or data submitted.
- You shall fully and promptly indemnify us against all damages, proceedings, claims, demands, liabilities, losses, charges, costs and expenses which we may suffer or incur as a result (direct or indirect) of any breach by you of these Site Terms or as a result of any material, information or data submitted by you to us or to this Site.
- The British Science Association name [and logo] and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans are the trademarks or service marks of us or our suppliers.
Third Party Web Sites
- We accept no responsibility for the content of any site to which a link from this Site exists. The links are provided “as is” with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them.
Use of User Names and Passwords
- You may need to use a user name and password for access to restricted areas of this Site. In that event, you must not use that part of this Site unless you first expressly agree to these Site Terms. If you are classified as a “member” of the restricted area, this does not necessarily mean that you are a member of the British Science Association.
- We may change what is available in any restricted areas of this Site from time to time without notice.
- You must at all times keep the user name and password strictly confidential and secure.
- You must not choose a password which can be readily guessed.
- You shall not disclose or allow others to have access to the user name or password without our prior permission.
- If you think you may have lost or allowed a third party to see or use your user name or password, you must inform us immediately.
- You shall be responsible for all use of our Site made under your user name.
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to reject any request by you for a user name or password.
- We may require that your user name or password is changed from time to time.
- If any of these terms should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted and the remaining Site Terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
- If you are aware of any misuse of this Site by another person in breach of these Site Terms, please report this to us as soon as possible.
If you want to contact us for any reason, please contact us using the contact information listed on this Site.
English law and jurisdiction
- These Site Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any dispute which may arise under these Site Terms.
- Many of the images displayed on our website and in other materials produced for the Festival have been provided by UPROSA and their scientists. We are incredibly grateful to the following:
- ‘Cavicatalytic nanoparticles’ – Susan Graham, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford.
- ‘Nickel Dendrites’ – Stefan Diller
- ‘Horsemint Flower’ – Stefan Diller
- ‘Epicoccum’ – Eileen Rojas
- ‘Binol’ – Professor Vance Williams, Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University
- ‘Aspirin’ – Professor Vance Williams, Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University
- ‘Fractal Flame’ – Scott Camazine, Harvard University